Solar Installation Training for Career and Technical Education Programs
The Solar CTE program implements solar education -tied to emerging clean energy careers- into CTE programs across New York City. The solar installation focused curriculum is incorporated into existing electrical, engineering, and construction programs at technical high schools. During the program, Solar One educators visit each school for two weeks to facilitate program content and co-teach with classroom teachers. Topics covered include: benefits of solar, solar site assessment, solar circuits, mountings and installing electrical components, and solar careers. The Solar CTE program concludes with a capstone project where students work in groups to install four 200 watt stand-alone solar systems. In addition to wiring all of the system components, students learn how to mount the panels using the most common method of rooftop solar mounting in NYC- ballasted mounting. The teachers keep all the supplies so that they may continue to train students on solar installation in the future. Schools are also invited to attend an annual solar careers expo to network with installers. Schools that participate in the 3-year partnership with Solar One receive training, support, and resources need to bring solar into their classroom.
Is your school interested in joining the NYC Solar CTE program?
The program is best suited for the following courses:
- Electrical Installation
- Construction Trades
Solar CTE Program Components
- One full day professional learning workshop for participating teachers
- Program delivery via co-teaching alongside Solar One Educator
- Solar equipment to install four stand-alone solar systems
- Solar Career Expo for students to network with solar and green industry professionals
- North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) Solar PV Associate training and certification for participating teachers
- Opportunities for paid internships with solar companies for students
- Access to lesson plans and one-on-one curriculum mapping
SPOTLIGHT: During summer of 2019, four students participated in an internship with Solar Energy Systems and had the opportunity to install solar panels on an NYCDOE high school in Queens. This internship was made possible through the NYCDOE CTE Industry Scholars Program.
Want to learn more? Read an in-depth case study covering the entire NYC Solar Schools Education Program HERE